M.Eng. Program Questions FAQ

Program questions about the Chemical Engineering M.Eng.

The following FAQs address program questions that prospective applicants have raised about Cornell's Master of Engineering program in Chemical Engineering.

How long does the program take?

Click to Open

A minimum of 30 credit hours, including certain designated courses, is required. Most students complete the program in two semesters. If they come from an undergraduate field other than chemical engineering, completing the program may take an additional semester.

Can I begin the program in the spring semester?

Click to Open

Most students begin the M.Eng. program in the fall semester. For a variety of reasons, including the sequencing of offered courses and the timeline for project activities, completing the M.Eng. program in the traditional fall-spring is recommended. With that being said there are spring admissions, even though the applicant pool is much smaller in the spring.

Do I need an undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering to take the M.Eng?

Click to Open

Most M.Eng. students have a Bachelors Degree in Chemical Engineering. Students with a background in other STEM disciplines can also be successful. If this is your situation, we encourage you to reach out and schedule a meeting to discuss your options.

Where does the program take place?

Click to Open

The program takes place on the Cornell University campus in Ithaca, New York, a small cosmopolitan city in a scenic area of the Finger Lakes region about 200 miles northwest of New York City.

What is the difference between a Master of Science (M.S.) degree and a Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) degree?

Click to Open

The M.S. is a research degree requiring a thesis. The M.Eng. is a professional degree, aimed at the practice of chemical engineering, and requires that you complete an M.Eng. Project.

See also: CBE Graduate Programs page for more information.