Students in the College of Engineering apply for affiliation with a major during their second year of study. In order to affiliate with the chemical engineering major, you must meet the school’s requirements.
Applying for affiliation in your third semester
If you are applying for affiliation with the Smith School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering in your third semester (the fall of your sophomore year), or as an internal transfer, you must be on track to complete the following course requirements by the end of your third semester.
- Mathematics: MATH 1910, 1920, and 2930
- Chemistry: CHEM 2090 and 2080 OR a score of 5 on the CEEB AP Examination in Chemistry and either CHEM 2150 or 2080
- Physics: PHYS 1112 and 2213
- Computer Science: Either CS 1110, 1112, 1114, or 1115
- Engineering Distribution: One Introduction to Engineering (ENGRI 1XXX)- ENGRI 1120 is recommended, and ENGRD 2190, and CHEM 3890
- Writing: Two first-year writing seminars
- Liberal Studies Distribution: One of six courses
Applying for affiliation in your fourth semester
If you are applying for affiliation with the Smith School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering in your fourth semester (the spring of your sophomore year), you must be on track complete the courses below in addition to those above.
- MATH 2940 or CEE 3040 or ENGRD 2700
- CHEM 2900
- CHEME 2200 and CHEME 3230
- An additional liberal studies distribution course
By the end of your sophomore year, you must:
- Complete the core curriculum listed above
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater
- Have no more than one grade below C- or U for Spring 2020 in chemistry, math, physics, and chemical engineering courses
- Have a GPA of 2.2 or greater in math, science, and chemical engineering courses (exception for Spring 2020 a student may opt to take courses pass/fail, in these cases a grade of S is acceptable).
Chemical and biomolecular engineering advisors
If your current advisor isn’t part of the Smith School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, you will be assigned to a chemical and biomolecular engineering faculty member when you affiliate. Your advisor will be listed on your approved affiliation form and his or her contact information will be emailed to you in January or June of your sophomore year.
Ready to apply for affiliation?
Complete the Application for Major Affiliation