Skip to main content


in this section

1. Which degree program is right for me?

The Masters of Engineering (Chemical) degree, commonly referred to as the M.Eng. Program, is a one-year professional degree. No thesis is required for this program, but students complete a 3 to 6 credit project. Financial aid is extremely limited for this program; most students are sponsored by their employer or family members or are self-funded.

The Master of Science and the Doctoral degree programs (M.S./Ph.D.) are flexible, able to accommodate the needs and interests of individual students. The M.S. is normally completed in two years; the Ph.D., in about four to five. A student's research project and major courses are chosen from those available in chemical engineering; minors are chosen in related fields. Almost all students accepted into the Ph.D. program are fully supported with full tuition and a stipend for living expenses. No financial aid is available for students in the M.S. degree program.  There is an expectation that the M.S. research completed by students in this program will lead to a peer-reviewed publication.

It is possible, but very rare, for students in the Cornell ChemE M.S. Program to transfer to the Cornell ChemE Ph.D. Program and for students in the Cornell ChemE M.Eng. Program to transfer to the Cornell ChemE M.S. Program. It is more common for students in our M.S. and/or M.Eng. Program to transfer to a Ph.D. Program other than at Cornell or to seek employment in industry after completing their degree. For M.S. and M.Eng. students that are admitted and decide to enroll at Cornell, we can provide more details on the steps needed to be considered for the M.S. or Ph.D. Program in ChemE at Cornell.

2. How do I apply and what are the deadlines?

Applications to the Master of Engineering program are accepted on a rolling basis. However, please submit an application by October 1 for the spring session and May 1 for the fall session so that there is time to process the paperwork and issue any visa documents, if necessary.

Applications to the M.S./Ph.D. programs are due by January 3 for the fall session. We rarely accept students for the spring term.

For an application to our M.S., M.S./Ph.D., or M.Eng. Graduate Programs, please visit the Cornell Graduate School website.

3. How and when are advisors selected?

All admission decisions are made by a group of faculty members, not just one person. Advisors are not selected until the end of the first semester. Therefore, students should not contact faculty members directly to inquire as to whether or not they can join a research group before being accepted into the program.

4. Is the TSE (Test of Spoken English) required for applying for financial aid?

No, the TSE is not required. However, the TOEFL is required.

5. What kind of financial aid is offered?

Very limited financial aid is available for our M.Eng. Program (a small number of part-time teaching assistantships offering a small amount in stipend may be available through the ChemE Dept and applicants should contact if they are interested in being considered for these positions once admitted to the program) and no financial aid is available for the M.S. Program.

Almost all accepted students to our Ph.D. Program are offered full tuition and a stipend for living expenses. No additional paperwork is necessary to be considered for financial aid for the Ph.D. Program. All applications received by January 3 are automatically considered for financial aid.

6. Can I send a copy of my TOEFL and GRE scores?

We can accept a copy of the score reports for the initial review of the file. The reports can be faxed, mailed, or scanned and emailed to If you are accepted into the program, you will need to have ETS provide official scores to us.

7. How many letters of recommendation are requested?

We require at least two letters of recommendation, but prefer three.

8. Who do I contact if I have further questions?

You can contact Susan Daniel, Director of Graduate Studies in the School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.

9. Is there an interviewing process for admission?

There is no interviewing process at this time for admission into our graduate programs.

10. Is there an additional form to fill out for financial aid?

No additional forms are needed to be considered for financial aid for Ph.D applicants. All Ph.D. applicants are considered for all available financial aid.

There is no financial aid available for the M.S. Program.

M.Eng. applicants should notify their adviser if the applicant would like to be considered for a part-time teaching assistant (TA) position once admitted to the M.Eng. Program.  M.Eng. TA's are selected by faculty/instructors at the start of each semester and approximately 5-6 M.Eng. TA's are needed each term. In general, M.Eng. TA's are compensated by a small stipend (roughly $6,000) for the semester. M.Eng. students are not guaranteed a part-time TA position or any financial aid unless this information is clearly stated in the offer of admission letter.

11. Are international students considered for financial aid?

Yes, international applicants to the Ph.D. Program are considered for all available financial aid.  

There is no financial aid for the M.S. Program.  

Applicants to the M.Eng. Program should see information above regarding part-time M.Eng. TA positions.

12. What is the institutional and departmental codes for the TOEFL and GRE scores?
  • Institutional code: 2098
  • Departmental code: 1099